How to Write a Great College Application Essay: Effective Tips
Is it that time of the year again when you have to worry about getting into a well reputed college? If yes, you need to worry about 3 things:
- Your high school grades
- Your college application essay
- The very fact that you don't miss the deadlines.
Your high school grades, whatever they have turned out to be can't be fixed now. Application essay is what you have full control over while the deadlines are in the future but you can set reminders just in case you happen to be a case of poor memory.
Anyhow this article has not been written to lecture you about your grades or you missing the deadlines. It's about the process that comes in between. The part where you have to draft an outstanding essay which is suppose to get you in with flying colors.
What should your essay be about?
Okay enough about how important it is for you to get into college. Let's talk about what possible topics you could consider for your essay. Speaking from experience, college essay should be about something you like. You want the admission committee to see you reflection in your writing. It needs to come straight from your heart. So you can write about any one of the following:
Most influential figure in your life, your favorite celebrity, what makes you an ideal candidate, a thorough analysis of your personality, your dog, your relationship with your father, what you've learnt from high school or any other things you feel will truly reflect you.
How to write the essay?
- Choose a topic and formulate a title for your essay. You need to really like it yourself if you want to sell it to the admin officials.
- Now make an outline for your entire essay. This might take a little extra of your precious time but the ease it'll bring in the proceeding steps will be worth the effort. I'm sure by now you know what an ideal essay structure should have: introduction, body, and conclusion.
- Formulate a thesis statement if needed, start writing your essay and throw in anecdotes if your essay is about your dog or your fondest memory from your childhood. Humor is good because it'll convey them kind of person you are to the admin official.
- Organize, proofread and edit any sort of spelling or grammatical errors. You don't want to leave a bad impression by spelling your favorite celebrity's name wrong.
- Your essay is ready to be attached along the rest of your application!